Saturday, April 27, 2019

2 Cor 9 - The Fruit of the Giver


9:1-5 Confirming and Completing
Do you like / do you need reminders? Why?
Why would Paul brag on the Corinthians in Achaia to the Macedonians to the north, and vice versa? Compare this to his words in 2 Cor 8:1-5. Aha!
What concerns Paul now?
Why is he sending these brothers on ahead?
What does he want to ensure?
Note: “bountiful gift” = “blessing” in Greek.
“As a blessing” contrasts with “as coveting.”
Grace-based, not greed-based, stingy, giving.
9:6-11 Sowing and Reaping
How is the Christian life like agriculture?
The obvious: Why does a farmer plant seed?
How much? When? Where? Expecting what?
Why might a farmer not plant his seed?
“Sparingly” – sparsely, in a limited or stingy manner, keeping the seed for …
“Bountifully” – lit., “upon blessings.”
As each decides in his heart. Not set 10% (tithe).
My heart + my purpose + my means = my action.
Not reluctantly or under compulsion. Why not?
Deut 15:10 Freely, not grudgingly. So – blessings.
Cheerful (Gk. hilaros): joyful, delighted.
Who is verse 9 talking about? Surprise! Ps 112:9
Who created the seed? Who provides the harvest?
I am a tenant farmer, an agent planting God’s seed in God’s land. God has entrusted His seed to me!
Since God owns it, He is to control it.
It’s to go where, when, and how He wants.
Givers will be enriched, for greater generosity.
I sow what I choose, whatever I want to grow.
I sow in proportion to my supply, faith, hope, love, ability, desire, gratitude, and/or concern.
I reap exactly what I sow, later than I sow, in proportion to what I sow.
I sow in response to grace. God makes His grace abound. So, I have all I need (sufficiency, contentment). So, I can abound in all things, at all times, in every good work.
I sow what I choose, whatever I want to grow.
I sow in proportion to my supply, faith, hope, love, ability, desire, gratitude, and/or concern.
I reap exactly what I sow, later than I sow, in proportion to what I sow.
I sow in response to grace. God makes His grace abound. So, I have all I need (sufficiency, contentment). So, I can abound in all things, at all times, in every good work.
Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”
9:12-15  Serving and Supplying
Giving is a “ministry” (diakonia), a formal religious “service” (leitourgia). That is, an act of worship.
What are the results?
Note the cause-effect chain in 9:13-14.
Gospel of Christ – your confession – obedience – this ministry – liberal contribution – their prayers – their longing (yearning, craving) for you – all because of the surpassing grace of God in you.
Needs met. Thanks multiplied. God glorified. Prayers offered. Relationships formed.
9:15 What is God’s “inexpressible gift” here?
While of course Jesus Christ is the greatest gift of all, the context may suggest another idea. In the preceding verse Paul speaks of “the surpassing grace of God in you.” Now he thanks God for this specific indescribable gift – God’s amazing grace at work in the lives of generous Christians!

No comments: