Thursday, February 06, 2014

Can Saint Joseph Help You Sell Your House?


Jn 14:13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
The purpose of this post is not to belittle anyone’s sincerity or devotion to a religious practice. It is rather to question whether the practice itself is compatible with the Bible’s teaching. Can a person today pray to – or through – a faithful Bible character like Joseph and expect results?
In a recent Bible class I described in Acts 19 the practice in first-century Ephesus of selling silver shrines of the Greek goddess Artemis. The Romans referred to her as Diana. Her temple in Ephesus was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Her image, enshrined inside, appears to have been a meteorite in which the semblance of a many-breasted female was discerned. Acts 19:35 refers to “her image, which fell from heaven (lit., “from Zeus”).”
The religious wares included miniature silver niches, containing an image of the goddess, which her votaries bought to dedicate in her temple. When Paul came preaching that gods made with hands were not gods, he threatened the business and profits of the silversmiths. Quite a commotion ensued.
A man in our class, a former Roman Catholic raised in New York, spoke up. He explained what he considered to be a similar religious practice today. He said that many sincere Catholics, seeking to sell their houses, buy statues of “Saint Joseph,” Jesus’ adoptive earthly father. They bury these statues in their back yards and pray directly to Joseph, believing that he can obtain God’s help in the matter.
Later, to illustrate and confirm this information, he brought me a box with a small plastic statue of Saint Joseph. It also contained written instructions and prayers. I was surprised by what I saw. You may be surprised as well. I have included several of these printed items below in bold type.
[1] “The Way of St. Joseph”
Over the years, thousands have successfully followed the age-old practice of burying a statue of St. Joseph, with the hope of selling or buying real estate.
The Authentic Way:
1)  Ask St. Joseph to help you sell your home.
2) Believe in St. Joseph to intercede to God, for the granting of your request.
3) Trust. Bury or place St. Joseph's statue on the property, as an outward sign of your belief and trust in his power.
4) Thank St. Joseph for having responded to your call, before, during and after the granting of your favor.
5) Move St. Joseph's statue to a place of honor.
6) Share your experiences with others how St. Joseph has helped you personally.
[2] “A Petition to St. Joseph”
Dear St. Joseph, head of the most perfect household, foster father of Jesus and guardian of His mother Mary, I confidently place myself and all my concerns under your care and protection. I ask that, through your powerful intercession with God, you obtain for me all the help and graces that I need for my spiritual and temporal welfare and in particular, the special favor I now ask (here mention or think of your home sale or any other petition, especially family needs (*)).
Good St. Joseph, I know with confidence, that your prayers on my behalf will be heard by God, and if it is His Will, it will be done.
Thank you St. Joseph, for having responded to my call. Amen.
(*) St. Joseph knows families. He brings family peace and love to each member. Go to him!
[3] Prayer to St. Joseph (Over 1900 years old)
Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt, before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires.
Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord, so that having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.
Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for me. Amen.
With Ecclesiastical Approval
Pray to St. Joseph
God's Will Be Done
This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Make it known everywhere!
[4] Saint Joseph Home Sale Practice
For this practice to be fully effective, however... sellers must, of course, first do such practical, yet all important chores, as completing all necessary fix-up, properly staging the home and finally, adjusting the price so as to reflect true market value ... then ... Just watch St. Joseph make it happen!
Let’s now return to our original question. Can a person today pray to a faithful Bible character like Joseph and expect results? Should one go through a former “saint” as a mediator to reach Jesus, or should one pray through Jesus to reach the Father?
What does the Bible teach?
Ro 8:34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
Heb 7:25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
1 Jn 2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
We can be thankful that Joseph, Mary, and many others trusted and obeyed God. We can admire their faith and devotion. We can learn from their example. However, we must not venerate them, pray to them, or make statues of them. We certainly cannot put them in the role of mediator.
That position is already filled.
Cory Collins



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I realize this isn't the point of the post but can't help but laugh at this because these things are what sell the house, not the statue:
"For this practice to be fully effective, however... sellers must, of course, first do such practical, yet all important chores, as completing all necessary fix-up, properly staging the home and finally, adjusting the price so as to reflect true market value ... then ... Just watch St. Joseph make it happen!"