Monday, June 25, 2018

Keys to the Kingdom – The Sermon on the Mount - 16 APPLICATION


An incident in India this past week added a whole new meaning to the phrase, “rat race.” The headline in USA TODAY read, “Hungry rat shreds more than $17,500 of cash inside ATM in India.”
At least one money-hungry rat broke into an ATM and chewed through nearly $18,000 in cash, authorities in India said.
------------
These are lesson notes, not written in a polished or finished manuscript form.  To see the video of this and other sermons:
To see thumbnails of all posts on this blog:
To receive email notifications of future posts, enter your email address at the lower left corner of the page where it says, “FOLLOW BY EMAIL.” You'll get an email from FeedBurner. Just click the link inside it to confirm that you want to subscribe.
For the other lessons in this series, click on the "Keys to the Kingdom" link.
------------
Officials at the State Bank of India (SBI) thought the machine was merely malfunctioning when patrons told them it was no longer dispensing money. 
It was “out of order” since May 20 — then technicians opened it.
Chandan Sharma, manager of the SBI branch in the town of Tinsukia in the northeastern state of Assam, told reporters ”they were shocked to find shredded notes and a dead rat.”
Reports estimate the destroyed banknotes at between 1.2 and 1.3 million rupees ($17,662 to $19,000).
Police superintendent Mugdha Jyoti Mahanta said the rat entered the machine through a hole intended for cables. 
Are rats smart? Sure! This rat built a home, padded his nest, and died surrounded by more cash than he could spend! And he did it by eating into others’ cash and not his own!
Or maybe he wasn’t so smart. His warm, comfy nest turned into a trap. He lost his life, and though he was immensely wealthy, he couldn’t take any of it with him.
So, what are you building your house on?
Reading: Matt 7:24-27
There are some great hymns that speak about rock as the foundation under the Christian’s house. By faith we stand and build upon that rock. Here is one:
The Rock that is Higher Than I, by Erastus Johnson
1 O sometimes the shadows are deep,
And rough seems the path to the goal,
And sorrows, sometimes how they sweep
Like tempests down over the soul!
Chorus:
O then to the Rock let me fly,
To the Rock that is higher than I;
O then to the Rock let me fly
To the Rock that is higher than I!
2 O sometimes how long seems the day,
And sometimes how weary my feet;
But toiling in life's dusty way,
The Rock's blessed shadow, how sweet! (Chorus)
3 O near to the Rock let me keep,
If blessings or sorrow prevail;
Or climbing the mountain way steep,
Or walking the shadowy vale. (Chorus)
We could also mention “My Hope is Built on Nothing Less,” “Rock of Ages,” “In Christ Alone,” and others.
There are also many Scriptures that describe God as our rock.
Dt 32:4 “The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He.
Dt 32:18 “You neglected the Rock who begot you, And forgot the God who gave you birth.
Dt 32:31 “Indeed their rock is not like our Rock, Even our enemies themselves judge this.
Ps 18:2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Ps 18:31 For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God,
Ps 18:46 The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock; And exalted be the God of my salvation,
Ps 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Is 28:16 Therefore thus says the Lord God, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.
Mt 16:16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
A Tale of Two Builders
Rather than separating Jesus’ story of the wise and foolish builders from the Sermon on the Mount, we must realize that it is the “so what” of the entire message. It is not what one has heard from Jesus, but what one does with it, that determines whether one’s house will withstand the storms.
It’s a simple but powerful word picture.
Here are two otherwise identical men. Both are builders. Both have tools, materials, knowledge, and skill. Both build something. Both use a foundation. Both will face storms – wind, rain, lightning. The houses of both will respond to those storms in some way.
What determines whether your house will stand or fall? It’s not just the size, composition, or strength of your house. It’s not the quality of the furnishings and decorations inside. It’s not just the strength or the frequency of the storms you face.
No house can stand which lacks a solid foundation.
There Stands a Rock
1. There stands a rock on shores of time
That rears to Heaven its head sublime.
That rock is cleft, and they are blest
Who find within this cleft a rest.
Refrain
Some build their hopes on the ever drifting sand,
Some on their fame, or their treasure, or their land;
Mine’s on a rock that forever will stand,
Jesus, the Rock of Ages.
2. That rock’s a cross, its arms outspread,
Celestial glory bathes its head;
To its firm base my all I bring,
And to the Rock of Ages cling. [Refrain]
3. That rock’s a tower, whose lofty height,
Illumed with Heaven’s unclouded light,
Opes wide its gate beneath the dome
Where saints find rest with Christ at home. [Refrain]

So it’s not a matter of merely hearing, but rather of doing that which we have heard. The Word reiterates this elsewhere.
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. Jas 1:22
“If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” Jn 13:17
“Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” Lk 6:46-49
For quite some time we have been studying “Keys to the Kingdom” from the Sermon on the Mount. Now let’s think of these keys as tools we must use to build on the rock of Jesus’ teaching.
Every key on your ring is by nature a tool. It can open doors and secure valuables, but only when it is put to use. Likewise, Jesus’ keys to the kingdom are worthless unless and until we put them into practice. The wise builder took the tools Jesus offered, and with them he built his house on solid rock. What will YOU do with these tools, the keys to the kingdom?
With that in mind, let’s review each of the keys to the kingdom we have studied. As we do, let’s write down some specific ways that one might choose to build either on rock or on sand.
Attitude - 5:1-12
One would build on rock by developing an insatiable hunger for the things of God, by actually making peace between two opposing parties, by caring for specific needs that call for mercy, etc.
One would build on sand by being cocky, full of oneself, satisfied with his spiritual walk, cold, uncaring, etc.
Now it’s your turn. Take each of the remaining keys and write, “I will build on the rock by …” “I will not build on sand by …” Then get into action!
Influence - 5:13-16

Self-Control - 5:17-30

Faithfulness - 5:31-37

Response-Ability - 5:38-42

Love - 5:43-48

Generosity - 6:1-4

Prayer - 6:5-15

Self-Denial - 6:16-18

Investment - 6:19-24

Priority - 6:25-34

Discernment - 7:1-12

Direction - 7:13-14

Obedience - 7:15-23

All the Bible’s warnings can be seen as signs saying, in effect, “Don’t build on quicksand! Your house will fall, and you will perish with it!”
At the same time, if you are sinking in the sand, reach out your hand to Him. As surely as He pulled Simon Peter up after he sank in the water, He will pull you up and set you on solid rock.
Ps 40:1 I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. 3 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the Lord.
As James Rowe wrote:
1
I was sinking deep in sin,
  Far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within,
  Sinking to rise no more;
But the Master of the sea
  Heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me,
  Now safe am I.

Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
  Love lifted me.
Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
  Love lifted me.
2
All my heart to Him I give,
  Ever to Him I’ll cling,
In His blessed presence live,
  Ever His praises sing.
Love so mighty and so true
  Merits my soul’s best songs;
Faithful, loving service, too,
  To Him belongs.
3
Souls in danger, look above,
  Jesus completely saves;
He will lift you by His love
  Out of the angry waves.
He’s the Master of the sea,
  Billows His will obey;
He your Savior wants to be—
  Be saved today.

No comments: