Monday, April 30, 2018

Devoted to His Teaching - Why We Love Our Bible Classes


Has the good news of Jesus Christ pricked your heart, as it did some 3,000 souls on the Day of Pentecost? Have you genuinely obeyed the command to repent and be baptized, as they did? Are you thrilled to be saved and forgiven, as they were? Of course! So their first priority is now yours as well! “They devoted themselves to the teaching.” See you in Bible class!
Reading: Acts 2:42-47
“You have to go to Bible class. They’re all expecting you. You’re 53 years old. You are the teacher of the class!”
Men’s Retreat. We all shared thoughts and memories of our brother _____ who always headed our retreats until he died last year. The recurring idea? He was devoted – to God, to his wife, to his daughter, to the men of this church. I remember several years ago, he stayed up all night at the retreat to listen to and counsel a friend. He was also relentless when it came to looking for work after American Airlines restructured and lost one of its most devoted employees.
Devoted – it describes a mother staying up all night with a sick child. A teacher who will not give up on a struggling student. A research chemist who invests 80 hours a week seeking a cure for cancer. First responders – police, firefighters, and EMTs – who risk their lives to rescue victims of 911 or another terrorist attack. An athlete committed to qualifying for the Olympics. A political candidate determined to get every last possible vote.
Devote – from the Latin devovere ”dedicate by a vow, sacrifice oneself, promise solemnly,” from de ”down, away” + vovere ”to vow,” from votum ”vow”. In ancient Latin, “act of consecrating by a vow,” also “loyalty, fealty, allegiance;” in Church Latin, “devotion to God, piety.”
In that sense our “devotionals” might be seen, not just as times for informal worship, but also as occasions in which we renew our vows or promises to serve and obey God.
The Greek word rendered “they devoted themselves” is rich in meaning.
προσκαρτερέωa; προσκαρτέρησις, εως f: to continue to do something with intense effort, with the possible implication of despite difficulty—’to devote oneself to, to keep on, to persist in.’
To persist obstinately in, attend constantly, adhere firmly to, persevere, be earnest toward, be constantly diligent, give heed to, be strong toward, endure. To be loyal to someone, to pay persistent attention to.
προσκαρτερέωa: τῇ προσευχῇ προσκαρτεροῦντες ‘devote yourselves to prayer’ Ro 12:12.
προσκαρτέρησις: εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ προσκαρτερήσει καὶ δεήσει περὶ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων ‘for this reason, be alert and always keep on praying for all God’s people’ Eph 6:18.[1]
proskarteréō. This word finds two uses: 1. with persons “to be devoted to,” and 2. with objects a. “to focus on,” b. “to hold fast to,” and c. “to be in continually.” In the LXX it is a stronger form of karteréō in Num. 13:20. In the NT sense 2.c. occurs in Mk. 3:9 (“to be continually ready”) and Acts 2:4, and sense 2.a. in Rom. 13:6, where the authorities focus constantly on their divinely given task. An instance of sense 1. may be found in Acts 10:7 (the loyal soldier; cf. also Acts 8:13, where Simon Magus attaches himself to Philip). Sense 2.b. is theologically significant in Acts 1:14, where the disciples hold on in prayer. This persistent praying precedes the choice of a replacement for Judas in 1:15ff. Jesus himself prays similarly, e.g., when in nightlong prayer he brings his decisions before God. He directs his disciples to pray in this way (Lk. 11:1ff.) and to persist in prayer (Lk. 18:1ff.), not just observing set times, but enjoying continuing fellowship with God in the obedience and confidence of children. The apostles accept this as part of their primary task in Acts 6:4, and the community as a whole devotes itself to teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer in Acts 2:42. Apostolic exhortations to persistence in prayer occur in Rom. 12:12 and Col. 4:2. In proskartereín, then, we find expressed one important aspect of the vitality and power of the NT church.
proskartérēsis. This word occurs only in Eph. 6:18. Perseverance in prayer and intercession is part of the spiritual warfare. Prayer, which has its roots deep in the life and power of God, knits the church together with a firm bond. It is not just a pious discipline but serious work which demands persistence. [W. Grundmann, III, 617–20][2]
Ac 8:13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.
------
Let’s try to put ourselves in Jerusalem, just outside the temple, on the Day of Pentecost. Let’s go through the events from that Passover (when Jesus died and rose) to the time that Peter and the others concluded their preaching to the thousands that were there.
As we do we will discover God’s power and plan for the church. As those who seek to identify ourselves with that original church, belonging to Christ, we commit ourselves to that original, dynamic pattern for growth. The church that follows the Acts 2 model cannot help but thrive, expand, and ultimately take over the world.
The people gathered at that moment were:
Confused. Bewildered, amazed, and astonished by the preaching they heard in their own tongues.
Confronted. Accused of crucifying the One who is Lord and Christ.
Convicted. Cut to the heart!
Converted. Brought to 180-degree repentance and baptism into Christ.
As a result they were:
Consecrated. Devoted to four key behaviors as part of that first church to which they were added.
Their lives were turned upside down. Whatever they were devoted to before they came to Jerusalem was now overcome by their new devotion.
Here are the four:
Learning – Sharing – Communing – Praying
Describe each of these.
We should not be surprised that they were first of all devoted to the apostles’ teaching about Jesus. Having been convicted of their sin and converted to this Savior, they would be irresistibly drawn to hear every word from Him and about Him.
Note what follows their devotion to these four key behaviors.
Awe. Signs. Giving. Meeting. Homes. Rejoicing. Praising. Favor. Growth.
Those results come whenever we today are convicted, converted, and consecrated.
Now let’s talk about what the Scriptures are and what we gain from studying the Bible regularly in our class. In Ps 19:7-9, fill in the blanks regarding the content, source, quality, and effect associated with the Word of God.
Ps 19:7-9
The _______________           Its Content
of the Lord                            Its Source
is ______________,                       Its Quality
_____________________.              Its Effect
The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul.
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.
The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether.
We tend to be most devoted to that which we believe has the greatest value or brings the greatest benefit. Let’s note what follows in the rest of Ps 19.
Ps 19:10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward. 12 Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults. 13 Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins; Let them not rule over me; Then I will be blameless, And I shall be acquitted of great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Ps 19:10
More Valuable than Gold
Sweeter than Honey
Ps 19:11
Warning of Danger, Promise of Reward
Ps 19:12-14
Result: Self-Exam, Prayer, and Worship
In preparation for this message I asked the church where I preach to complete this sentence: I am regularly committed to our Sunday morning Bible classes because ...
Here are their responses, listed anonymously and in no particular order.
I am devoted to God and want to please Him in all that I do.  The more I can learn about His Word, the more I can please Him. I enjoy being with my brothers and sisters in Christ every opportunity I have. I enjoy learning from others in the class as well as from the instructor and sharing thoughts and ideas. I enjoy sharing life’s experiences with others whether good or bad, happy or sad. I enjoy building stronger relationships with my brothers and sisters in Christ.
1. Elders have set this time for study. 2. This congregation has the most knowledgeable and capable men teaching that I’ve ever been associated with, and that helps me in my understanding of the scriptures!
1. I always learn something new. 2. They increase my knowledge of God’s Word. 3. I learn how to better apply God’s Word to my everyday life. 4. ____ is a Great Teacher! 5. I learn from the experiences and observations from others in the class.
It provides my wife and me the blessing of studying with a teacher who spent a lifetime, preaching and teaching God’s word and leading the lost to Christ.  His insights and wisdom, enables us to more deeply appreciate, better understand and apply God’s inspired scriptures in our lives. Hearing the word presented by a man who represents God’s word in the flesh, helps us to see and believe that living according to the scriptures is an achievable goal. These sound Sunday classes, coupled with the daily searching of the scriptures as Jesus commanded in John 5:39 and Paul praised the Bereans for doing in Acts 17:11, we will be better prepared to share God’s Good News with others as we journey through our lives. While our shepherds always insure all our teachers are sound men of God, studying with ______ is a special blessing.
I love Bible classes primarily for the particular type of fellowship associated with that form of worship. Certainly learning is a key component. However, it is a learning that allows understandings to be compared and evaluated to help one decide how they are progressing in their ‘walk’ with God. There is a stronger sense of community in the Bible class - I think. 
We are all on many different levels of knowledge and experience. By assembling together to study the Word of God, we allow ourselves to be strengthened by other’s abilities and knowledge. And, we allow others to be strengthened by our abilities and knowledge. Who does not want to learn more about Jesus and eternal life? Who does not want to study more from the source of “…Divine power that gives us all things that pertain to life and godliness”? (2 Pet 1:3)
1. I am strengthened and encouraged in a small Bible study setting. 2. My faith is strengthened with every opportunity I have to be with fellow Christians. 3. It is beneficial to meet and search the scriptures together and learn from group discussion and teaching. 4. It is a privilege and benefit to belong to a body of believers who actually meets for Bible classes. 5. I cannot think of any reason NOT to be committed to Sunday morning Bible classes.
I learn so much from the teacher and the participants in the class.  Many people are required by their jobs to go through continuing education on a monthly-yearly basis.  I consider Sunday morning Bible Class continuing education for me as a Christian.
I get to sit by my favorite person; listening to my favorite Book being taught by one of my favorite teachers!!! 
It is a perfect introduction into Sunday morning worship service. You can never learn too much about the Bible and it gives a more in depth study of the scriptures. Don’t like missing at all.
This is what my parents trained me to do since I was born, and I am so grateful. As an adult, Bible class is where I choose to be because the benefits and growth that come from being in class are too many to count. I wouldn’t want to anywhere else.  Bible classes at this particular congregation are excellent and I look forward to them with anticipation every week, much like a person would look forward to their favorite weekly TV episode!  I am also purposely setting the example for my children that they will also regularly attend Bible class once they are grown and on their own.
1. It helps build my spiritual muscles so that I am better prepared to help and witness to others. 2. Being around my church family helps draw me nearer to God. They support and encourage my growth in Christ. 3. ______ and all of the other wonderful teachers who work so hard every week to bring us such inspirational teachings from God’s Word. I just love my Bible class!
It is an opportunity to study God’s Word & have discussion with other Christians about Scripture. It’s also a time for ‘fellowship with a purpose ‘ which draws us closer to each other in Christ. Lastly, a chance to teach Bible classes is vital to the growth of God’s kingdom & raising children up in the Lord & helping self & others to mature spiritually.
Today I was driving with the kids, and we always seem to have deeper discussions while I’m driving. We were talking about what will happen when Jesus comes. We were talking about the loud trumpets and _____ said that as soon as she hears them, she’s going to run. I told her that she couldn’t run from God. She told me, “no mom, I’m not running from Him. I’m running to Him.” That’s why we are regularly committed to Sunday morning bible class. It cultivates a deeper faith for our family. Our kids are able to be involved, learning a lesson that is relevant to them and one that resonates with them. I think it encourages our kids to have discussions with us. We also feel that if we pick and choose when to go to worship, then we could just become once a week Christians. It never hurts to get together, it only helps.
I want my children to grow up to be committed to Sunday morning Bible classes. I want to set an example to those who are in my classes when I’m teaching them. The same applies to Wednesday night classes as well.
I’ve been pondering the motivation for the request below and will say that I like Sunday and Wednesday Bible classes and really enjoy getting reinforcement of things that I have forgotten from the past (sadly) along with occasional new perspectives on some scripture interpretation. There is a saying that I still use on occasion and it is really a question: “How can we look for answers if we do not know the questions?” So, one of the reasons that I actually like Bible classes is because they sometimes (and often sometimes) help me ask more questions which, to date, have helped me do more digging and enhanced learning. I also enjoy being around people who are interested in learning and committed to Biblical truth. Okay, I also like listening more than talking… oops. I am kind of convinced that many times people are not committed to Sunday morning Bible classes because they really do not have questions or interest in the depth of the truth/reality in the Bible, for whatever reason; or, it is not “exciting” enough - for whatever reason.
Study of God’s Word is a necessary part of the life of any Christian and it is more illuminating, and sometimes more interesting, to study the Bible in a group with my church family.
Close fellowship with family. In-depth study of the word where discussion should and does take place. Smiles/laughs. Prayers. In a nutshell it’s great.
I attend Bible class because the word of God is sweeter than honey to my taste and I am encouraged by those present.
We are interested in learning about the Bible, its contents and its meanings.
I am an assistant teacher for a young children’s class. I love working with the children and teaching them about Jesus.  I try never to miss unless I have to be out of town.  I am committed to being there and get so much enjoyment out of serving our Lord in this way.  I work with ______, and I enjoy her friendship and I think we make a good team!
Possible hymns:
Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet
Give Me the Bible
Restore My Soul
My Eyes Are Dry
Light the Fire
Holy Bible, Book Divine
How Shall the Young Secure Their Hearts?



[1] Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 662.
[2] Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, and Geoffrey William Bromiley, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 1985), 417–418.

No comments: