Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Refreshing Your Faith – “Survey Says!" - Part 1


Thanks to all the subscribers to this “Serving and Sharing” blog who responded to my question! I asked, “How can we avoid – or recover from – a stale, dry, and weak spiritual life? What works for you that may help others of us? What does the Word of God tell us about refreshment? I’d like your ideas for ways that Christians might refresh their faith or even prevent it from becoming stale.”
Jesus often slipped away to the mountain to pray alone, and He instructed His disciples to “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while” (Mk 1:35; Lk 5:15-16; 6:12; 22:39-46; Mk 6:30-32).
The video of the sermon I presented after hearing from you is available here:
Refreshing Your Faith - Cory Collins
Though I did not have time to share all the responses in that message, all of them are included in two posts, this one and the other one with the same title. I have edited several, partly for clarity and partly for anonymity.
• Every morning I say to myself, ”What if this is the last day of my life?” And I feel that helps me stay grounded in fellowship with God the holy trinity. I hope it does. 
• I find getting involved in a new in-depth Bible study (KSBS* classes, different Bible class, online Bible study), challenging myself to dig deep in a particular book of the Bible that I’m not as familiar with / or haven’t studied in a while. Reading Psalms and personalizing it, and/or reading the gospels at the same time in as close to chronological order as I can get. Keeping a prayer journal, especially noting the various ways and means God answers every prayer. Also, preparing Bible lessons to share with others is a great way to freshen my faith, you can’t teach what you don’t learn and practice. *KSBS – Keller School of Biblical Studies
• Take a mission trip.  If you can’t take one, help fund one. Pray for one.  Write a missionary an encouraging letter. Make a list of people who need a visit. Get a partner and see them one by one. Audit a course at a Christian university. Read a biblically-based book. Start a prayer journal. Start your own quiet encouragement ministry. Commit to one encouraging act toward another believer each day. Give yourself permission to go beyond one per day. Make a list of the 10 most encouraging people you know. Take each to lunch or do something to spend a bit of time with each of them. Help someone. Doesn’t matter at what level. Just help someone who needs help.
I like listening to old gospel quartet music while I research church history and think on how hard it must have been for those who sacrificed so much in the past.
• Here’s what seems to work for me – teaching. I’m on the teaching rotation at ___ church, and I teach adults classes as well as a class for those who are either non-Christians or those new to faith.  Teaching keeps me in the Word.  Honestly, when I don’t teach, I tend to get lazy in my quite times.   Teaching keeps me engaged in God’s word and continues to challenge me in my Christian growth. However, I do know that most Christians do not feel qualified to teach (that’s another sermon; teaching has many, many faces).  To broaden the teaching scope, I would expand this thought to “serving” others.  Serving others gets us out of ourselves and into the lives of others.  It takes the focus off of me and places it on someone else, and for most, that feels really good and gives the sense of purpose.  Eph. 2:1-10 provides wonderful encouragement on the mercy, grace and riches of God, reminding us we were “created for good works”.
There are several ways that I try to keep a fresh faith: regular Bible reading and study, fellowship with other Christians, and working in various church events, such as leading in Bible camps and youth activities. However, the most effective way to keep a constant faith is prayer. My faith is never stronger than when my prayer life is at its best. Prayer keeps me in tune with God directly, and puts my faith in Him above all else.
Have Bible studies with other Christians so we can be strengthened by the Word and each other. Being involved in evangelism. Seeing others being transformed by the gospel is the biggest one in my opinion. 
I have found that teaching 6 months on and 6 months off (to study) works very well. Going on mission trips with other members will inspire growth and also cause you to count your blessings. 
I take Sunset classes for credit to ensure I’m in the word deeply, always learning and growing. I grow tremendously from men who mentor me and men whom I am now mentoring. These relationships include personal evangelism studies with friends, coworkers, and neighbors; men from support groups; and men from church. The power for me comes from fostering deep, transparent relationships that go beyond the small talk, sports, and politics to our most intense struggles. Being in the trenches of the battle ensures I am always being stretched and maintain awareness of the reality of the spiritual warfare all around us. I seek out people who have specialized knowledge like Christian counselors, successful evangelists, and worship leaders and glean whatever I can from conversations with them. I take advantage of intensive training opportunities like Singing Schools and hymn writing workshops to grow in skill and ministry.
When I get “Spiritually Dry” I do a study of the miracles and parables of Jesus. I also read Philippians to pep me up. 
Two things — I sing hymns and other Christian songs. I have difficulty memorizing Scripture locations but can sing practically any song a leader might select without needing a book. It encourages me to really know and think about the words. Also, I often think about Christians in North Korea. The nature of the country fascinates me (in a sad way), and makes me “get with it,” realize how good I’ve got it and how much has been given so much is required.
Truly the Word, read it, calms my soul and refreshes it at the same time.  I am so thankful for the Bible and how it has everything I need for life.
1. It takes conscious effort. I get so caught up in day-to-day work that it’s quite easy to lose perspective. That’s why going to worship is so important. It’s why being conscious of the significance of communion is so important. 2. Read the Bible. It’s amazing what’s there when I dive in. 3. Pick your friends carefully. Solid Christian friendships will feed the soul. 4. Don’t forget to pray. It is probably the most refreshing thing I do. 5. Get out in nature. I spend too much time cooped up inside at my desk. But when I get out in Percy Warner Park and take a walk, the evidence and beauty of God is all around. Those are just some simple thoughts that came to mind. I hope it helps.
I keep a constant response of thanksgiving to God for various wonderful ways He has blessed me - for the beautiful morning, the gorgeous colorful plants I have growing on my patio, the beautiful butterflies that have been drawn to my yellow flowers. And I thank God continually for the answers to prayer I have received - that my sons love God, love their families, and are using the talents He has given them in their church congregations. If I receive a prayer request, I immediately go to God in prayer for that person or for a family. I praise God continually for the blessings my families bring me. --- When my oldest son was 4 or 5, one of our dogs got out and couldn’t be found. My son and I prayed that God would help us find Marty. Afterwards I prayed to God that his answer would be “yes,” that Marty would be found and that would help build my child’s faith and love for God. Two weeks later, some men mowing the fields north of Addison Airport in Dallas found Marty in that field, a long way from home.  They responded to the ad we had placed in the newspaper, and we got Marty back. He was hurt but was taken to the vet, and he recovered. We all praised and thanked God for His answer to our prayers. I am so very thankful for the strong faith my sons have in God, and for the faith they are instilling in their children, my wonderful grandchildren. --- I try to have Bible reading and continued thanksgiving to God. These are essential to keeping me focused on God and my faith. Looking for ways to help others and/or encourage others. 
One of the best ways to keep faith from growing stale and to stay alive in the Lord is through teaching the Good News to others. There are few experiences more satisfying, more invigorating, than to be a part of someone’s conversion, to look anew at the faith through the eyes of someone who is just now discovering it. Being on the front line of the gospel keeps us sharp spiritually, helps us deal with the real-life issues that others are facing, and helps us to give the proper value to the precious blood which purchased our salvation at so great a cost.
To be continued in Refreshing Your Faith – “Survey Says!" Part 2.


No comments: