Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Refreshing Your Faith – “Survey Says!” - Part 2


Thanks to all the subscribers to this “Serving and Sharing” blog who responded to my question! I asked, “How can we avoid – or recover from – a stale, dry, and weak spiritual life? What works for you that may help others of us? What does the Word of God tell us about refreshment? I’d like your ideas for ways that Christians might refresh their faith or even prevent it from becoming stale.”
Jesus often slipped away to the mountain to pray alone, and He instructed His disciples to “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while” (Mk 1:35; Lk 5:15-16; 6:12; 22:39-46; Mk 6:30-32).
The video of the sermon I presented after hearing from you is available here:
Refreshing Your Faith - Cory Collins
Though I did not have time to share all the responses in that message, all of them are included in two posts, this one and the previous one with the same title. I have edited several, partly for clarity and partly for anonymity.
Service to others.
Vacation with family taking time to rest, read, pray and refocus.  Also going somewhere quite to fish, pray and refocus.
For me it takes praise songs and sharing in small groups. 
Fellowship with Christian friends (there is so much “out there” to keep your eyes off God). --- Bible study - every time you see something you have not noticed before or maybe thought of it in a different way.  Man has not changed since the beginning of time and evil is all around us in such subtle ways (TV programs, advertisements, movies, newspapers and newscasters, modern novels and yes, schools)  We are being told the Bible is no longer relevant and whatever makes you happy is ok and that God loves us.  Yes, God loves us, but He is not going to put up with unrepented sin.  Even some churches here have gay couples worshiping with the congregation.  Young people are living together without marriage, not attending worship and not bringing their children to worship.  Churches do not want to “step on toes”, not be “politically correct” and have the Word of God as written in the Bible preached to them.  People want “feel good” sermons. Sin has no stigma in our world.  What will be for the future of our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  We can only pray, pray and pray.  God is in control and we can only trust in Him and his Word.
We attend Polishing the Pulpit in August, spend a couple weeks in the summer door knocking, go on foreign mission trips, go to singings and work VBS. Just trying to attend each service with Christians keeps us going.  Don’t know if this will help!  Hope so!  My most difficult part is maintaining the discipline to study every day!  Any ideas for that???  I will do great for a week or two, then miss days!!!
I try to pray and meditate through trying times in a quiet, peaceful environment when possible, even if it is just sitting on the back porch listening to the sounds of nature and enjoying the beauty of the handiwork of God. Regardless of how doubtful I may become at times, I always reflect back on how fortunate and blessed I am and when things seem really down, I try and put myself in someone else’s place and that helps put things back in perspective. My Granddad, who was uneducated and worked hard as an auto mechanic, used to always tell me, “Son, you think you have it bad.........well, just look around yourself long enough, and you’ll realize just how blessed you truly are.”
I pray, I act, and I pray and give thanks. I ask my wife what we should be thankful for. It never gets old. It never gets stale. I talk to faithful people. They share their secrets for great marriages, financial maturity, and spiritual maturity.
Use the words of a hymn as an outline for prayer and thanks. I was looking at the words by Wm Mackay, who gave us the hymn, “Revive Us Again.” He praised the Lord for: The Son of Thy Love, The Spirit of Light, The God of all Grace ... then concluded with the prayer: Revive Us Again; fill each heart with Thy love; May each soul be rekindled with fire from above. Hallelujah! Thine the glory; Hallelujah! Amen! Revive us again.
I refresh my faith through devotionals using the Bible app, I sometimes make weekly plans to have prayer at the same time daily and going to conferences has helped to refresh or restart my spiritual journey. 
1) Having a meaningful ministry to be involved in and/or look forward to.  For me, it’s my writing and teaching Ladies’ Bible Class at _______ and occasionally speaking for ladies’ retreats, etc.  For [my husband], it’s his teaching in the schools throughout the world, knowing he’s contributing to the training of preachers and building the kingdom; also, he’s teaching a regular class on Wed. evenings at ______.  He also stays energized by the correspondence with teachers he works with via the phone and with those throughout the world via email. 2) Thinking back over our life/ministry and remembering the challenging situations God has brought us through as well as being extremely thankful for the amazing work He has brought us to be able to do in His kingdom.  We both think gratitude to Him and giving Him the glory for whatever has been accomplished through us keeps us from being too self-centered, which can definitely hurt our faith.  So, we try to remain God centered--astonished many times at what He has allowed us to do when we think about where we came from, etc. 
I am a preacher/teacher, and I have a friend who is a preacher/teacher.  When I discover something interesting in my Bible study, I just stop by his office and we talk about it.  We both find that enjoyable, and in sharing our perspectives, it helps our scholarship.
My best resource is the people around me.  Two of the elders and I fish together on a regular basis.  I can spend a day on the water with them and come home physically tired — but spiritually refreshed.
Simple things. Visiting the sick and shut in. Having INFORMAL breakfast, lunch or dinner with the Brethren. Surprise text of encouragement. Brother or sister emailing a Biblical question and seeking wisdom. Men and Lady teacher sharing lesson plans and ideas. Getting into a disagreement and the reconciling together. Simple things. Makes me feel like we are progressive and “forward planning”. Looking towards Heaven in our actions of UNITY. 
Going to church and hearing your sermons.  I am reading a devotional book that refreshes my faith. I wake up every morning knowing Jesus saved my life during my surgery.
You know, God is right all the time.  Romans 10:17!  When my faith wavers, I know I have not been in His word as I should.  So, I have to dedicate time and effort to get back into studying my Bible.  It really is that simple for me.
As you may well imagine, each of us is going to find different ways to renew our Spiritual Energy and Vigor, using the talents and skills the Lord has seen fit to give to use to His Glory, helping the lost to find Salvation, and sustaining us  in a world of temptation and darkness. --- As you know, for the past 7+ years I have been blessed to have an avenue to extend my Lord’s Day morning worship by bringing a full service to the residents of a senior living facility. I can tell you, even when I was facing my serious medical issues over the past 1 ½ years, when I stood before them on Sunday at 12:30, the Lord sent down a burst of energy and power that enabled me to preach His word, Lead Songs praising His name, and offer prayers on behalf of those attending our worship. This opportunity to refresh my Spiritual being has been expanded through God’s power, by being able to tach a bible class every Thursday morning at the Conservatory as well. --- Words do not express how much better I felt, in the midst of my illness, seeing the residents’ smiles, watching the tears flow down their cheeks because God’s word touched their souls, feeling their hugs and hearing their words of Love expressed at the end of the service and bible class. It was as if I am plugged in to a Giant Heavenly Battery that gives me all I needed to make it through. --- Much like the closing verses of Romans 15, the church at Keller and those who are saints at the facility, enable me to find new energy and strength every time we are together to carry on in His service preaching the Gospel even though many times it is to those who do not believe, or even oppose the word, that we can all enjoy mutual refreshing and enjoy God’s peace because we have done what we have done according to His will.
One way is to do something that I am somewhat fearful of. For example, the first time I went to ______ Prison to teach, I had some reservations and anxiety. But, I said, “ I had rather die trying to do what I should than to face God having not even tried.” Now I look forward to going, and say, “I tried my best.”
Perhaps one of the most noticeable things that refreshes my faith is fellowshipping with like-minded Christians. Spending time with, talking with, hearing good brothers and sisters own passion for the Lord or even their struggles ignites a deeper concern for the work I’m involved in. We need the brethren’s encouragement and that is certainly one effective way that helps my faith feel refreshed.
As for ‘refreshing’ our faith...I meditate on the faithfulness of God to His promises. I recall the apostle’s words that ‘while we were enemies...while we were sinners’ Christ died for me. I read the psalms and listen to people like David express their frustrations in life yet manage to hold on to their faith as they remember God’s faithfulness. I look at the congregation around me and I see so many people suffering in ways I can only imagine and I see their faith, their perseverance, their determination to make it through another day. It is humbling.
When my faith weakens, I try to recall the many ways God has blessed us thru the years. When God seems to ignore my cry for mercy, He opens a door I did not know was there. These stories have happened many times in my 75 years. He is faithful to those who love and obey Him.

No comments: